William Robert Casburn

William Robert Casburn

Male 1915 - 2001  (85 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name William Robert Casburn 
    Nickname Bill 
    Born 26 Oct 1915  Graham, Young County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 2 Jan 2001  Mansfield, Tarrant County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 5 Jan 2001  Graham, Young County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I1947  Casburn Family
    Last Modified 27 Jun 2017 

    Father Robert Edward Casburn, Sr,   b. 20 Jun 1882, Young County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 8 May 1938, South Bend, Young County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 55 years) 
    Mother Olive Cordia Ratliff,   b. 25 May 1885, Salem, Young County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Nov 1982, Graham, Young County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 97 years) 
    Married 5 Jun 1904  Graham, Young County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F1295  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Bessie Pearl Slay,   b. 1 Sep 1921, Young County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 6 Nov 2009, Arlington, Tarrant County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 88 years) 
    Married 15 Jul 1938  Jacksboro, Jack County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. Judy Louise Casburn,   b. 13 May 1939, Graham, Young County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Dec 2018, Southlake, Tarrant County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 79 years)
     2. Living
    Last Modified 27 Jun 2017 
    Family ID F479  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos
    William Robert 'Bill' Casburn
    William Robert "Bill" Casburn
    Cordie Casburn and Children
    Cordie Casburn and Children
    L to R: Bill Casburn, Cordie Casburn, Buck Casburn and Jean Casburn
    Cordie Casburn and Children
    Cordie Casburn and Children
    L-R Back Row: Jean, Nelle, Louise
    Middle Row: Pat, Claud, Bill, Cordie
    Front Row: Buck
    William Robert Casburn
    William Robert Casburn
    Bill Casburn when he started school in 1921
    William Robert Casburn
    William Robert Casburn
    Bill Casburn 1940
    Cordie Casburn with family
    Cordie Casburn with family
    Cordie Casburn, Bill Casburn, Renee Reedy and Judy Casburn
    Bill Casburn\'s Service Station
    Bill Casburn\'s Service Station
    Casburn\'s Southside 66 Service Station sold Gulf products and later changed to Phillips 66
    Bill Casburn Graham High School
    Bill Casburn Graham High School
    Bill Casburn in his Letterman\'s sweater. He earned this for overhand pullups on the chinning bar.
    Bill and Bep Casburn
    Bill and Bep Casburn
    Bil and Bep Casburn at the grandson Allan\'s high school graduation
    Bill Casburn
    Bill Casburn
    Bill Casburn in the Civilian Conservation Corp 1933
    Bill Casburn and Kassie
    Bill Casburn and Kassie
    Bill Casburn and his great-granddaughter Kassie. Dad passed away less than 2 months after this picture was taken.
    Bill Casburn and Alice Randolph
    Bill Casburn and Alice Randolph
    Bill Casburn and his favorite Great Aunt Alice Randolph. Alice was a very small woman about 4\'6\" tall.
    Cordie Casburn Birthday
    Cordie Casburn Birthday
    Cordie Casburn at her 93 birthday
    Casburn Family at Keta\'s House
    Casburn Family at Keta\'s House
    Back Row L to R: Pat, Louise, Marcia, Nell, Cordie, Dick, Keta and Jim
    Front Row L to R: Judy, Bill, Amy
    Bill and Bep Casburn Wedding Day
    Bill and Bep Casburn Wedding Day
    Bill Casburn and Bep Slay on their wedding day
    Claud and Bill Casburn
    Claud and Bill Casburn
    Claud Casburn is on the left and Bill Casburn is on the right

    Bill Casburn surgery
    Bill Casburn surgery
    Telegram sent from Nell Casburn Goode to Patricia Casburn Linton telling her their brother Bill was having emergency survery.

    William Robert Casburn and Bessie Pearl \'Bep\' Slay Casburn
    William Robert Casburn and Bessie Pearl \"Bep\" Slay Casburn
    Plot: Section G, Row A, Block 10, Lot 1
    Section G, Row A, Block 10, Lot 2

  • Notes 
    • Timeline:

      1933 - Hitch hiked with cousin Howell Smith to Corpus Christi to see Rob Casburn. Stowed away on a freight train from San Antonio to Fort Worth. Train was filled with Hobos.
      1934 - Civilian Conservation Corps Young County, Lead man was Kit Carson
      July 15, 1938 - Married and lived in Graham
      1940 - Moved to Breckenridge
      1942 - Moved to Sweetwater
      March 1943 - Moved from Sweetwater to Fort Worth
      1943-1947 - Consolidated Air Craft worked as Foreman of Tool Control
      June 1947 - Moved to Graham from Fort Worth
      September 1947 - Bought first service station at 413 4th Street in Graham, Young County, Texas
      1950 - President of Graham Jaycees
      July 1953 - Key Man Award with Jaycees
      October 3, 1954 - Deacon First Christian Church - Graham, Young County, Texas
      1955 - Bought service station 918 Elm Street in Graham, Young County, Texas Had Phillips 66 gas wholesale business and delivery
      February 1983 - Ran Cowtown Marathon 10K race for the first time in Fort Worth, Texas
      1998 - Deacon Emetrius of Memorial Christian Church


      Draughons Business College, 1933
      Heating and Air Conditioning School in New Jersey, 1947
      Consolidated Air Craft sent him to school for Employ Management, Personnel Management etc. accredited through University of Texas in Austin


      Charter Organizer of Little League
      Charter Member of Graham Industrial Association
      Treasurer of First Christian Church
      Knights of Pythias
      Red Cross Blood Drive 8 gallon donor for B negative blood
      Organizer of Junior Rodeo Club
      Judge for area beauty contests and rodeo parades

      In December 1941 a charter was issued to a group of young men of Graham by the State organization of JAYCEES, and, except for the years during World War II when so many of the young men were called into the service of the US, have been an energetic movement in the community. Wayne Tipton served as the first president and he was followed by Bill Casburn, Gene Matthews, J. P. Elkins, Bob Bachman, Cleon Dennison, Sam Rives, Russell Carey, Roy Davidson, Gordon Nees, Jr., Douglas Pendergras, James Gilliam, W. D. Lemons, Carl McMillan, Pat Bryan, III, Payne Roye, Roy Bilberry, George Hart: Walter Frazier, Richard Guymon and Joe Holland, the present president. The national Jaycee organization was first affiliated with the Chamber of Commerce, but in 1967 they became two separate organizations. The motto of Jaycee is "Leadership training through community development," and its well fitting for the local club.

      April 17, 1993 - While riding in the Multiple Sclerosis 150 from Houston to Austin, Dad was struck by a car in Bellville, Texas. He was riding his bicycle, when the car ran the intersection and he collided with the vehicle. He was going approximately 20 miles per hour on his bicycle and the car was going approximately 40 miles per hour. He was Care Flighted to the Hermann Hospital in Houston, Texas where he remained until June. He was then transferred by ambulance to All Saints Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas where he remained until August. His injuries were as follows: closed head injury with damage to the right frontal and temporal regions, open fracture of the right tibia and fibula which required surgery consisting of plates, pins, muscle transfers and skin grafts, separated left shoulder with damage to the nerves in the arm and hand, collapsed lung with abscess formation.

      Dad had a very large heart and open arms for anybody needing a hug or assistance. There was a warm meal for anyone who needed one and an understanding listener and confidant for others.

      I Remember Papa by Bill Casburn

      The year was 1922. The weather was cold, for it was December and getting close to Christmas. I was seven years old at the time and really looked forward to seeing Santa Claus. I had asked for a red wagon and I could hardly wait to hang up my stocking.

      Papa wasn't a big man. He weighed around 170 pounds. Had gray eyes and sandy hair. He was close to six feet tall, 5 feet 10 inches to be exact. He had a nice smile and ready wit and could captivate an audience with his tall tales. Close friends even called him HERO. He was for a while a lawman. He loved horses and liked to ride. He also liked to race horses. He was a born musician and played the violin beautifully. He loved dogs and liked to hunt coyotes when he had the time.

      Mama and Papa talked. Far into the night they talked. My sister, Louise, who was two years older than me and was a constant companion, knew something of grave importance was being discussed.

      The weather had been bad and Papa had not worked too much and we began to wonder if Santa Claus would find his way to our house that year.

      I'll never forget Christmas Eve. We all hung up our stockings and gathered around the old pot bellied stove to warm. Papa got out his violin and played a few songs for us before we went to bed. Afterwards, he covered the coals in the stove and laid out some shavings and wood for a quick fire in the morning.

      We went quickly to bed, pulling the heavy covers upon us so we could warm the cold bed as quickly as possible and suddenly we were asleep, dreaming of Santa Claus and all the goodies he would leave us. I slept with my older brother, Claud. He was six years my senior and helped Papa in his work. I had two older sisters but both were married and away from home.

      Daylight was just breaking when I awoke. I jumped from my bed and ran to my stocking hanging on its nail. It was full of fruit, nuts and candy, and under the Christmas Tree was a pretty red wagon that I had asked Santa for. I grabbed my stocking and wagon and made it back to bed where it was warm.

      Later, Papa arose and lit the fire in the heater and cook stove, then Mama cooked a nice warm breakfast for us before we got out of our beds. It wasn't long before I was outside playing with my new red wagon.

      Yes, I remember Papa because he always managed to give us a fine Christmas when times were hard. He always managed to get things done somehow.

      Papa was a good provider of moderate means. Our family was large. I had five sisters and two brothers. One sister died with Diphtheria before I was born. The two older sisters, Nelle and Pat, were married and away from home and my younger sister and brother had not arrived as yet.

      I remember the night my little sister was born. We older children spent the night with Grandmother Casburn so we would be away from home. All of us were delivered in the home by our old family doctor.

      The next day when we returned home we had us a new baby sister and we were all so happy that the stork had found our house. The neighbors had cooked food and cleaned the house and everyone was talking about the pretty new baby. It was a big event.

      On cold winter mornings Mama would heat water in the teakettle for Papa’s Model T. Brother Claud and I would jack up the back wheels, then Papa and Claud would crank the engine. Sometimes you'd want to give up but just before you did the old Ford would start and Papa would let it warm up; then we'd let it off the jack and fill the radiator with warm water and Papa would be ready for work. I would like to have seen Papa with all our modern day conveniences.

      A few summers later Papa came home from work and said he was caught up with his work and wanted to go fishing for a few days. Mama and Papa loaded the old Model T with food and clothing. Claud, Louise, baby sister Jean, who was not two and myself all, got in the back seat and away we went on a long weekend fishing trip.

      We set up camp along the banks of the Brazos River. Overhanging rocks were on one side and deep water. The other side of the river was dry and sandy. It was peaceful and quiet and Papa said we'd have all the fish we wanted by the next day. Claud and Papa set a trot line that evening and sister Louise went swimming and playing in the sand. It was wonderful and I thought how nice it would be to just be a beachcomber the rest of my life with nothing to do but play in the sun and in the sand!

      The next day Papa and Claud ran the trot line and caught several good-sized catfish for lunch. Papa said there were some "big cats" under the rocks and we three would catch some by hand. This didn't sound like fun but I believed what Papa said even though I could see snakes crawling on the rocks or feeling a big fish hitting you. Anyway, I would do what Papa said.

      We took our places around the rocks jutting out of the water and Papa dived under the rocks and worked his way around the holes. Claud worked his way around from the other side. A large cat swam out of the hole I was guarding and I yelled out but he was gone and I was glad. I was scared and Papa said, "Son, don't be scared, just kick your feet and you will scare him back to us and we will get him. There is more in there and I want to get one this time."

      Papa was right. He grabbed a twenty-five pound cat and with Claud's help they got him out. Papa was cut in a few places where he had gotten finned but he brought out his prize and I admired him for it even though I had rather catch mine with a line and pole.

      We spent another day on the river. We ate fish until we were unable to eat anymore and we ran and played in the sand and water until we were exhausted. I hated for the trip to end because it was one trip Papa made enjoyable and I will never forget it.

      Papa played for dances to pick up extra money. He played the violin, another man played the guitar and usually someone played the piano. They had their Country-Dances at private homes in those days and they split the money taken in with the owner.

      The owner would move all the furniture out of a big room so people would have room to dance and usually beds were set up on the back porch for the youngsters that had to come along and got sleepy.

      Mama didn't go every time Papa played for a dance but once in a while she did and of course when she did the kids had to go too. It was really a treat because we watched the people dance and I loved to hear Papa play "Over the Waves", "Turkey in the Straw", and "Listen to the Mocking Bird". I loved every minute of it.

      Papa liked to hunt coyotes and he had several hounds. He could spend the whole night in the woods listening to the hounds chasing a coyote. He enjoyed it and Claud enjoyed it too, and went with him sometimes. I could get no enjoyment out of this and I would stay home with Mama and Louise and we would play while he was off hunting,

      I must have been fourteen when Papa got a couple of beautiful black racehorses. They were magnificent and besides being fast and spirited they were gentle.

      Granddad had a racetrack and I was selected to ride Daisy and my cousin would ride Zinda. I was light and a fair rider; however, I was not a jockey and we practiced bareback because we had no race saddles.

      If Papa hadn't said I could do it, I don't think I'd have ever tried because riding fast without a saddle is no easy chore and I didn't relish the idea.

      We raced for several days and some days Zinda would win and some days Daisy would win. They were pretty near even in speed. I was lucky I had no accidents and I had given Daisy lots of workouts. Now it was time to put them to the real test.

      Papa matched Daisy in a race and hired a regular jockey to ride her. It was a matched race, just the two horses. The day of the race a large crowd gathered to see the show. Daisy didn't get off to a fast start and she didn't run as fast as she had been clocked. She was beaten by a head. Papa was awfully upset, but if he lost much money on the race he never let it be known. He didn't give up. He entered Daisy and Zinda in the county fair. It was the first Para mutual Race in Texas and several horses were entered. It was a mile race.

      I forgot the size of the purse but it was a wonderful race. Zinda led all the way, another horse was second and Daisy was third. At the finish, the judges picked the other horse first, Zinda second, and Daisy third. It was a close finish and I thought Zinda won, but the judges didn't see it that way.

      Papa didn't race the horses anymore after the fair and finally sold them. His desire for winning the big one had waned and he turned his interests elsewhere.

      As I got older I got to help with the cattle. Granddad Casburn had a large herd; Papa, Uncle Bruce and Uncle Randolph had small herds. They all had different brands, but they did the branding at the same time. It was really fun to get to help on the roundup at branding time. It usually took several days and Grandma Casburn always had a steaming hot lunch for all of the help.

      It was hard, sweaty work but still lots of fun. I loved to hear the bawling calves as we stuck the branding iron to them, see them kick and fight as you pitted your strength against them, and hear the swearing of the older hand who saw it all as work and nothing pretty or romantic about it. I saw things differently and I wanted to be a cowboy for the rest of my life!

      The year was 1932 and my last year in High School. Louise had gotten married and left home, although she was still living in Graham. Jean was eleven and Richard, the baby of the family, was eight. It was rough. The depression had been with us for several years. There was little work and less money. I guess during times of stress, people are pulled together or drift apart for no reason. Suddenly this happened to Mama and Papa.

      Papa started running around and it wasn't long until Mama found out about it. Papa was furious and asked for a divorce, but Marna would not give him one. Things got worse and one day Papa packed his bags and left town with the other woman.

      Mama was heart broken but she held up well. She kept hoping Papa would come back home, but he didn't. Papa left the family in a bad spot, but we survived. Claud worked long hours. He swapped work for groceries or anything the family could use. The married sisters contributed all they could and Richard, Jean and myself stayed in school.

      I finished High School in the spring of 1933. There was little work and I took odd jobs that summer to help out all I could. The President had provided jobs in the Civilian Conservation Corp and I spent a year in it hoping things would get better. I was released the following summer and returned home.

      I had become bitter towards Papa. I couldn't see why he had left Mama and his family for another woman. Still, I had a yearning to see him and hearing that he was in Corpus Christi, I decided I would pay him a visit. I packed my bag and hitchhiked to Corpus.

      Papa was in Corpus. He was doing his best to make a living. He had been sick and hadn't worked too much but he was glad to see me and treated me nice the two weeks I stayed with him. He asked about all of the family, were they well and happy, how the little ones had grown and how he missed us.

      I knew he was sick inside. My bitterness left. I felt sorry for him because I believe he was caught in a trap and for the first time in his life he couldn't work things out the way he wanted to.

      I left Papa and returned home. I found me a job in Ft. Worth and moved Mama, Jean and Richard into an apartment with me. I threw my energies into my work and the family and forgot about Papa. He had made his change, and I knew he would never return, All the good times we had had were now gone and would only remain happy memories.

      Mama wasn't too happy in Fort Worth and I found a job in Graham. We returned home where she was happy and all her friends were. Richard moved to Illinois with Louise and Jean married a boy in Graham. Claud, Mama and I were back in the old home place.

      I never saw Papa alive again. He became sick and moved back close to Graham. He wanted to be home when he died and to be buried in the family plot. He died in 1938 in pain and agony from a long sickness and was buried where he wanted to be. The lot next to him is reserved for Mama when she goes to meet him.

      Papa lived a wild and reckless life and I do not condone some of the things he did; yet, as I grow older and see life as it can be-the good and the bad-, I wonder if all the fault was his. Maybe Mama spent too much time with the children as they became more and more a burden. Papa probably felt left out and his hunger for love, friends and excitement gradually pulled him away from home. I know he loved Mama and his children and I will always remember Papa.

      WILLIAM R. “BILL” CASBURN, 85, of Graham, Texas passed away Tuesday, January 2, 2001 in Mansfield, Texas. Funeral services are scheduled Friday, January 5, 2001 at 10:30 a.m. in the Morrison Funeral Home Chapel with reverend Chad Davis, pastor of Memorial Christian Church in Graham and Jack Sullivan of Fort Worth, Texas officiating. Burial will follow in Pioneer Cemetery. Mr. Casburn was born October 26, 1915 in Graham, Texas to the late Robert E. and Cordia (Ratliff) Casburn. He resided in Graham for all but 6 years of his life. He married Bessie P. “Bep” Slay on July 15, 1938 in Jacksboro, Texas. Mr. Casburn was a member of Memorial Christian Church where he joined at age 13 and remained a member for the rest of his life. He was a deacon Emeritus and past treasurer. He owned and operated his own wholesale and retail gasoline business for many years in Graham. Mr. Casburn was past president of the Jaycees, past member of the Lions Club, member of the Graham Chamber of Commerce, member of the Graham Industrial Association, member of the Young County Historical Society, Charter member of the Little League Baseball Organizers, organizer of the Junior Rodeo, organized many area beauty pageants, judged area rodeo parades, member of the Lake Country RV Club and the Good Sams RV Club. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Bessie P. “Bep” Casburn of Graham, TX.; two daughters, Judy Floyd of Germantown, Tenn. and Elizabeth Brown of Mansfield, TX.; three granddaughters, Tracey Standefer, Leann Brumley, Cinda McDonald ;grandson, Allan Brown; great grandson, Grant Standefer; great granddaughter, Kassie Brumley; sister, Jean Reedy of Graham, TX.; brother, Richard Casburn of Mt. Carmel, Illinois; several nieces and nephews also survive.